Friday 3 September 2021

August 2021 - Dear Mrs Bird

 I did enjoy Mrs Bird ; a lovely light read which made me chuckle and moved me to tears.

Horribly realistic descriptions of the air raids. And I did enjoy a happy ending. Not high literature but it 

gets a 9 from me!

Maggie



My review of dear Mrs Bird. Thought the beginning of the book was entertaining and light weight but the 

descriptions of the blitz was well written and real,and the sadness of those affected buy the bombing. I 

think I'll give it a 5, because I liked the Mrs bird part, hated the love part. See you all soon. Daphne



Peter Notes: A chick-lit type story about two girls living in London in 1942. Emmie gets a job on a 

newspaper, but it turns out to be a woman’s magazine and she has to select agony aunt letters for Mrs 

Bird, a real old battleaxe to respond to, but she starts responding to some that Mrs. Bird deems 

'unsuitable' 


She also works at a fire station where Bunty falls in love with a fireman. At first I nearly gave up as chick-

lit but I got caught up in the story. Em gets caught out and nearly loses her job, but ends up with a better 

one, and Bunty gets back in touch after a breakup and saves her bacon. [5]


Ali: Enjoyed book, had read it before. 8. Didn’t think the problem pages added much. Chris didn’t read.


OL not impressed. Very light read. Sounded better than it was


Have a good meeting either outside or via zoom - say hello to everyone and see you all at the end of   September.     Linda
9/5/5//8  = 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment