Wednesday 28 February 2024

2024-February - Ripper by Isabel Allende

 A one-legged tough guy vet, a beautiful voluptuous massage therapist, a brilliant daughter who runs a on-line game at 14, Father who is the police chief, and then a very rich suitor with erectile disfunction, I think that the Author is taking the mickey out of American super-hero novels. Oh yes, Police chief has a super PA who is a martial arts person and dresses like a weirdo teenager. And the denouement in a ruined fort. I notice the questions that we had at the end:

Is Brunswick a play on the word wolf? Answer - Brunswick, a manufacturer of billiard tables, have one called the Black Wolf

Why did he only Taser the dog and not shoot it?

Why did he crucify Indiana?

----

H Comments: Here are my thoughts about the book...

I reached page 170 before I decided I had better things to do with my life.

I enjoyed the first 20 pages, interesting details and the plot had lots of potential. I actually looked forward to the rest of the book. But then the number of characters escalated and I couldn't work out who was who or remember key details about them. My brain switched off from the plot, I didn't identify with any of the characters and didn't care what happened to any of them. Too many details slowed everything down and made reading like trudging through porridge.

The editor must have been a real rookie to pass the manuscript. I'm giving the book a score of 1 because for one short evening I looked forward to reading the rest of the book.
-----

Marks: 6,5,6,2,4,1. = 24 gives average 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment